Our first class on May 3rd will be online asynchronous as I’m away at a meeting in Vancouver. I will be back for the in person class on Thursday May 5th (for those who are attending in person classes; remember you can complete this course in an online asynchronous format).

To Watch

Part One: Overview of Course and Platforms

Part Two: Information about the Assignments

Part Three: Lecture on Theoretical and Methodological Frameworks of medieval Women’s History

Powerpoint slides for Part Three: 1-Frameworks Theory and Methodology

To Read

Judith Bennett, “Chapter 4: Patriarchal Equilibrium” in History Matters: Patriarchy and the Challenge of Feminism (Univ. of Pennsylvania Press, 2007): 54-81. Available here:

Course Readings

Note the page where our readings are located is password protected. The password is available on Blackboard and our chatboard.

To Do

1. You should all have received an email from me with details on how to sign up for the chatboard and a short survey. Once that is completed, I’ll put you into groups on the chatboard. To find your group, go here:
  2. Post an intro in your group channel! I’ve given some instructions on what you should do for your intro in the channels.
  3. After you’ve watched the lecture on “Frameworks: Historiographical and Methodological” and read Judith Bennett’s article “Patriarchal Equilibrium”, go to the channel on the chatboard called “Frameworks I” and post your comments in response to the prompts. You can start a new comment or respond to another student’s.
  4. Look over this course website and post any questions you about the course material in the “course questions” channel. You can also annotate (comment on) the syllabus using the link posted in the main channel of the chatboard.
  5. If you haven’t already done so, please fill out this survey